Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Southern Living

When I thought of living in Alabama (which is basically where I live) I was a little afraid that all the women would have two first names and the men would be like Alabama Man. Once I got here, I was happy to find that the people were just like me, except with an accent.

Today, I met the stereotype and she is the nicest lady ever. She works at the office I'm temping at. She had a doctor's appointment, but stuck around for 45 minutes until she had to leave. She talked nonstop.

By the time she left, I knew the following things about her:
-She has had kidney stones for two years and has been urinating blood over the past couple months.
-She met her first husband while he was on the work-release program from prison.
-She has two daughters. Her eldest isn't exactly world-wise. She thought she could get pregnant from sitting on a unisex toilet.
-Her dream car is a Buick Grand National and her favorite actor is Vin Diesel.
-She has a twin sister, Mary.
-Her dream is to be an ancient Egyptian.
-She and her oldest daughter were so sick on New Year's Eve that they couldn't eat any of the junk food they bought. Her daughter was throwing up in the kitchen sink.
-Her current car is actually one of the original Mary Kay cars.
-Various other completely random things

It really made my day a lot better. I'd had a terrible morning yesterday. My car is... well... it's done for. It runs. It moves, but that doesn't make it right. I refuse to drive it anywhere. Blake and I are going car shopping today. We have a few good prospects so I'm not feeling too bad about it. We'll be able to pay for the whole thing up front.

The car incident almost ruined my entire day, but about 8p.m. I began feeling better. Blake wasn't upset and kept reassuring me that things would be okay and I had a good long prayer. Though I wasn't feeling completely fine, I felt a lot more peace than I had all day.

No comments: